Master of Science (MS) Candidate, Exercise Science, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
- Graduate Assistant Human Performance Lab, Exercise Physiology, and Sport Psychology.
- Future Faculty representative, Co-Teacher at the College of the Redwoods.
Bachelor of Science (BS), Kinesiology, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA.
- Human Performance Lab Intern- body composition, Vo2 max testing and nutrition analysis.
Associates Degree (AA), Physical Education, Saddleback Community College, Mission Viejo, CA
Nutrition – Mental Training
- Health Coach Certification, Institute for Integrative Nutrition, New York, NY January 2013
- Performing Edge Coaching Professional (PECP), Dr. Joann Dahlkoetter
- Certified Mental Coach (CMC), Mental Training Inc.
USA Track & Field
- USA Track and Field Instructor Training Course (ITC), UNLV, Las Vegas NV
- IAAF Level V Certification, Endurance & Jumps Academy, Olympic Training Center, Chula Vista, CA
- USA Track and Field Level III Certification, Endurance & Jumps Academy, Olympic Training Center, Chula Vista, CA
- USA Track and Field Level II Certification, Jumps Training, UNLV, Las Vegas, NV
- USA Track and Field Level II Certification, Endurance Training, BYU, Provo, UT
Mission Viejo High School, Mission Viejo, CA- Boys Head Cross Country Coach & Assistant Track n’ Field Endurance Coach 2012 to present.
Great Oak High School, Temecula CA- Assistant Endurance Coach 2012 XC Season
GrassRoots Athletics, USATF Club (PA & SCA Associations) Founder/Cocach 1997 to present.
Mission Viejo High School, Mission Viejo, CA Assistant Endurance Coach for Cross Country and Track n’ Field from 1990-1992 & 1999-2001.
- All-CIF Division I Track and Field Qualifiers
- CIF SS Finals Southern Section Cross Country
- 1991 CIF Division II Southern Section Cross Country Champions
- All CIF Track n’ Field Finalist/Qualifiers
- League Champions and All-League members
Humboldt State University, Arcata, CAVolunteer Sprint/Hurdles Coach from 1997-1998.
- Participated in the USATF Sprint Development Film Team
Saddleback and Irvine Valley College, Mission Viejo & Irvine, CA Assistant Endurance Coach for Cross Country and Track n’ Field from 1993-1996.
- 5 State Finalist For Track and Field- top 5 finishers
- 6 Track and Field School Records Broken
- California State Qualifiers for Cross Country
Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
- Cross Country
Saddleback College, Mission Viejo, CA
- Cross Country and Track n’ Field
- Southern Section Qualifier
- Cross Country Captain
Mission Viejo High School, Mission Viejo, CA
- CIF-SS Division Finalists Cross Country-1984 2nd, 1985 3rd team finishes.
- South Coast League- Champions 1984,1985 & All League
- Cross Country Captain
USA Track and Field
American College of Sports Medicine
Academy of Nutrition Dietetics- Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition
Robert Belo enthusiasm and knowledge motivates his athletes to be the best that they can be. He believes that once you can get an athlete to believe in themselves and to see their own potential, “you have created the most powerful weapon on earth, the human soul on fire (Ferdinand Foch).”
Coach Belo first started coaching in 1990 at his alma mater, Mission Viejo High School, by chance as his former high school and college coach, Gene Gurule (10k NCAA All America and Olympic Qualifier), told him a coaching position was available and the season has started so there is a good chance they could use the help. By the end of the season he fell in love with coaching and knew his calling.
Many of Belo’s athletes have grown to be State qualifiers, All-America in college as well as Olympic Trials qualifiers as he coached at Mission Viejo High School, Irvine Valley College and Saddleback College. He was also a student assistant coach at Humboldt State University for sprints under USATF Sprints Development Chairman coach James Williams.
His experience coaching athletes ranges from the youth to post collegiate. He attended Humboldt State University majoring in Kinesiology and Exercise Science. In Graduate school he was a graduate assistant for the Human Performance Lab, Sport Psychology and Exercise Physiology. Coach Belo also co-taught a college success class at the College of the Redwoods.
Belo continues his education by obtaining a USATF Level III and IAAF Level V certification for Endurance (pending) and Jumps as well as an Instructors Training Course Certification to teach Level I classes. He completed a yearlong certification program for health/nutrition at the Institute for Integrated Nutrition, and the USATF/IAAF Jumps Academy at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista earning the highest coaching certification for Jumps.
Belo has currently embarked on completing a Doctoral degree in Applied Sport Psychology and is currently a Certified Performing Edge and a Certified Mental Coach. He is being mentored by Dr. Joann Dahlkoetter from Stanford who is a sport psychology expert and coach. She is the best-selling author of Your Performing Edge and has coached 5 gold medal Olympians and counting.
Coach Belo was the team captain for Mission Viejo HS and Saddleback College where he competed in Cross Country and Track n’ Field as well as one cross country season at Humboldt State University and is now looking forward to compete at the masters’ level.
Robert Belo is married to Mayra Medina, who was a standout Orange Country athlete herself, and resides in Murrieta and Rancho Santa Margarita with their children Valerie, Sebastian, Gavin, Alexandra, and Gabriella.